back to article HMRC data debacle used to bait phishing lure

A phishing attack targeting victims of the HMRC data loss debacle has been spotted on the net. The bogus emails offering recipient the false opportunity to claim a tax refund of £215 from the UK Government over the potential exposure of confidential data. The email contains a web link to a suspect site, reports security firm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ash

Slight misquote there

Should read "...but people must learn that there really is no such thing as a Government admitting a mistake and giving a refund."

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

What's this got to do with the lost discs?

The email pictured in the story makes no mention of data loss or compensation, it just says you're entitled to a tax rebate....

4. Spleen
    Paris Hilton

Scam is pretty high-quality

Crap grammar (full stop used instead of comma, "in order to" instead of "to", missing space), broken image, generally weird and obviously non-native syntax... this is exactly what I'd expect an email from the Government to look like. I'd have trouble telling the difference.

(I'd like to know where the discs come into it too, though. But I don't mind being reminded of the government's collosal stupidity. Don't stop banging on about it when people say they're sick of hearing about it, keep going until people are sick of it happening and overthrow these morons.

Paris Hilton icon because she needs a "Where's the Government incompetence angle?" icon to keep her company.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obvious scam

It should be "HMRC Ambition"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Spleen

I think we also need a varient of a men at work sign - i.e "warning government shafting is inevitable" sign!

in the old days i used to work at a multistory govt building....

it use to amuse me when the window cleaners came around as they use place "caution men at work" signed around the builings and entrances...

obvuisoly to warn about falling buckets and mops etc.

but i couldnt help chuckle and deliberately mis interpret at reffering to the workers inside.... know who the IT Service providers where it wouldnt surprie me to learn that specual signs were put up when the DBAs or Middleware staff had finally turned up for and where work! (opposed to merely "attending")

7. Anonymous John

Nothing to do with the missing disks.

It started much earlier.with identical wording to a US version.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/fraud-attempts.htm

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Load of shONEt

I had this same email months before the HMRC data loss

Around the same time, I also had one with the USA's IRS logo on it.

This topic is closed for new posts.