back to article Digital downloads get pop-tastic applause

Unless you've been living under a rock recently you'll have noticed that the digital music industry has been flip-flopping all over the place this week. First up, music licensing company Snocap today confirmed that it had reduced its staff headcount by 60 per cent. The San Francisco-based firm, which had been the latest e- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris C

Sick of hearing about Radiohead

Why is it that since Radiohead decided to offer their music direct to their fans, that's the only band you guys mention? They're not pioneers here. Harvey Danger did this two years ago (September 2005). They likely weren't the first, either.

2. Ian Ferguson

Re: Sick of hearing about Radiohead

They're not the first, but they're (probably) the biggest.

Sorry, not heard of Harvey Danger myself, although I'm sure he/they are very good - I'm probably out of touch, but names like 'Radiohead' and 'Madonna' do tend to seep into my thick skull...

Speaking of Maddie (oooh... probably no longer a good nickname for her, come to think of it), sounds like she has a bit of common sense - investing in live concerts rather than recordings. As far as I'm concerned it's the future - you can't (yet) pirate a live experience, and trying to stop people pirating recordings is like holding back the tide with some mashed potato. So the obvious money is in live events.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@ Chris C

Maybe they aren't the first, but they are the first band that I've heard of. Harvey Danger??

Besides, until Britney goes direct to fans, no other bands really matter right?

4. Craig
    Coat

Re: Sick of hearing about Radiohead

I appreciated the fact that the article barely mentioned Radiohead. One paragraph comprising of two short sentences was all the mention they got. This article isn't about Radiohead. It's a digest of how the music industry is currently revolting against the middlemen. Successfully for a change.

5. Dale Richards

Harvey Danger

If my memory serves me correctly, Harvey Danger are "that band who did that song that was in American Pie that ended up being the theme tune to Peep Show".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Raidohead..

The new album is pretty good.. specially when you can opt to pay nothing for it. Radiohead are also the best live band I have ever seen, and I have see ALOT of love music.

7. Chris Cheale

Radiohead might not be the first

... but I think they've made an important step here showing that a big(ish) band can do it. Within a couple of days a few more alternative type bands had dropped their labels, including I believe (but can't be bothered to go and check right now) NIN.

It might not be much of an avalanche at this moment in time, but you never know, these little pebbles rolling down the mountain might get some boulders moving.

8. Daniel B.
    Thumb Up

Smashing Pumpkins

Hm... Machina II was released for free, on mp3, by the Smashing Pumpkins right when they were breaking up. So yeah, Radiohead isn't the first one. However, Radiohead is pretty well known; that and the fact that Smashing Pumpkins actually gave away the "album" for nothing, it was more like a final "f**k you" against the record labels.

So Radiohead would be the first "big player" that actually moves into this arena. Some indie groups have already done it, though I don't really think they have done it the "right way"; local group "Veo Muertos" (literal translation: I SEE DEAD PEOPLE) decided to sell online its album ... on iTunes. Which sucks as His Jobsness has not opened iTunes for Mexico.

Anyway, it seems it would be these indie groups the ones that may have motivated Radiohead and Madonna to ditch their records, and with this, maybe more will follow...

This topic is closed for new posts.