back to article Google readies Pacific-spanning, Verizon-battling underwater comm cable

In yet another bid to free itself from the Verizons of the world, Google will soon drag a multi-terabit communications cable under the Pacific Ocean. After top-secret talks with carriers in Sydney, the world's largest search engine aims to lay down the so-called "Unity cable" by 2009, according to Australian news service …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lexx Greatrex

Hey, Google, Don't forget to stop in New Zealand on your way!

Just a little detour south and you can hook us Kiwi's into the cable too. We are also totally fed up with the telco's charging horrendous rates for international traffic. Because of this we New Zealanders enjoy the dishonor of paying some of the highest fees for broadband in the world. Save us too Google!

2. JeffyPooh

Free VoIP at some point?

Once Google has girdled the world, then it'll be a short step to offer free everything (with small harmless ads along one side).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Google commented in a we-decline-to-comment kind of way."

I'm glad you didn't say that.

But it sounds like a drop in the ocean to me.

4. the Jim bloke

@jeffyPooh

? small ads alongside VoIP ?

I have enough trouble with the little voices inside my head already, without letting Google take them over.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Laying cable to the antipodes

That's a one heck of a long Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle !

6. Steve again

Stopping in New Zealand

Lexx

Worry yourself not. Of course Google will route the cable via New Zealand. In fact, the whole point of the cable is to prepare for their office move to a disused extinct volcano here as El Reg reported 18 months ago:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/08/you_only_search_twice/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like