back to article O2 serves notice on i-mode service

O2 has hit the red button on its i-mode service less than two years after it brought the Japanese mobile web technology to Europe. The Spanish-owned telco says "a limited range of devices has restricted its growth and we don't see that changing". It will support the service for another couple of years, but won't launch any more …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matthew Brown

Standards, standards, standards...

Had they bothered to do their homework they'd have seen the direction web content was taking, accepted that WAP2.0 & XHTML-MP/Basic was a more practical solution and the current uptake of mobile web browsing would be much higher than it is.

Bah. Hum. Bug.

2. Arceth

Imode

I used to work for this company. As soon as it launched there was no interest in the service what so ever. No benifits over normal internet usage on the phone.

O2 if you want to make it big. Drop GPRS charges. Bring out some good phones, and go back to the old days when the network was good.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*Phone

wondered how long it would take you to mention the iPhone, 2nd to last word, not bad!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: *Phone

The tag-line, shurely?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Was for Telefonica Compatibility

Seriously.

They were just ticking a box to max the share buy price.

6. p3ngwin

best handsets weren't enabled for imode

i bought their o2 XDA EXEC when it came out 2 years ago, it was their best business handset (first combined win-mobile 5 and VGA screen device ) .

they even had a "business 500" tariff that was only available temporarily.

i asked about data rates and if the imode service was available, they said it wasn't, and had no plans to.

WTF?

the most business orientated smart-phone they had wasn't enabled with their intenet service?

7. Graham Lockley

Difficult choice ?

Choose between restricted content etc. of i-mode or T-Mobile's £7.50 a month 'all you can eat' real internet ?

When it was launched I thought i-mode had a slightly 'WAP-ish' smell to it and nothing since then has changed my mind.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like