back to article Ex-Broadcom CEO broadsided by cocaine and orgy torture charges

The latest caper looming over the technology sector makes us long for the days when HP spied on reporters and Oracle went slumming through Microsoft's garbage. Those were wholesome scandals centered on good, old fashioned corporate espionage. Now we find Broadcom co-founder Henry Nicholas locked in a lawsuit with former aide …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Ramsay

Not now, Kato!

Is anyone else getting visions of a cocaine-fuelled Inspector Clouseau?

2. Webster Phreaky

Stupid Writer! Broadcom ISN'T IN Silicon Valley!

Someone tell the Twit Ashlee Vance that Irvine California, the headquarters for Broadcom and the former executive office for Nicholas, ISN'T in "Silicon Valley"! It's in Orange County SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, south of Los Angeles. NO WHERE NEAR Santa Clara County NORTHERN CALIFORNIA!!!

Where the hell does The Reg find these stupid writers?? (nobody should call them "journalists")

Stories of Coke parties put on by Henry Nicholas down here in ORANGE COUNTY are notorious. Everyone in the Tech Industry has heard of them and the Kook nature of Nicholas. The idiot has nearly run the company into the ground numerous times, now you know why.

Ps. Orange County is known by many as Network Valley - because its the home of Linksys, D-Link, Cisco (south), Airlink, SMC (formerly Accton), Hawking, Belkin (in beautiful and dangerous Compton), Trendnet (Torrance, near LA).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Judo chops ???

The last time I looked Judo did not consist of any hand blows. Judo is basically equivalent to wrestling, not boxing.

Did Ashley mean karate ?

4. Jess

Judo chops

They were a joke in Austin Powers.

Presumably the author is making the same joke, if it is literal something odd is going on.

5. lansalot

steady on !

"Someone tell the Twit Ashlee Vance that Irvine California, the headquarters for Broadcom and the former executive office for Nicholas, ISN'T in "Silicon Valley"! It's in Orange County SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, south of Los Angeles. NO WHERE NEAR Santa Clara County NORTHERN CALIFORNIA!!!"

You need to lay off the coke, heroin, prostitutes and judo for a bit I think mate...

Anyway, it all sounds ilke a lark - I think I'll send my resumé off. Things have gotten a bit boring round my way as of late..

6. Richard

Judo chops...

The writer of the article merely states that the suit filed claims he was doing 'Judo chops'. If that's exactly what the lawsuit says then it has been reported correctly, regardless of the accuracy of the statement.

Unfortunately, I think you've got him on the Silicon Valley thing, though...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Webster Phreaky

Sorry, I had to chime in, as I live in the OC as well. People, Compton is LA county as is Torrance, they are NOT behind the Orange Curtain.

LA = drugs and black people

OC = drugs and white people

Let's keep that straight!

I'm not sure what is dumber, a poster calling out a journalist for getting a county wrong half-way around the world, or a poster getting it wrong while living in the same neighborhood. Yikes!

8. Ashlee Vance (Written by Reg staff)

Nice to see you handled the show cancelation well, Webster

Thanks for driving your point home with such fury, Webster. Broadcom, despite having two massive offices in Silicon Valley, is indeed HQed in LA. My mistake. I've fixed the story.

The chop thing was in reference to Austin Powers. The lawsuit says that Nicholas claimed to be a Judo Olympian and did "karate and martial arts gestures" near people.

AV

www.theduckrabbit.com

9. Greg Nelson

Juicy

Howard Hughes made the Private Detective harassment gambit famous. I read it in passing so I can't remember the name of the poor soul who originally suffered the minutiae of his life being documented. Hughes hired dozens of detectives to shadow an enemy. The guy caved. He couldn't take being scrutinized every minute of the day. Today it might be seen as harassment but when Howard Hughes was running the world it was business as usual.

Congrats on a newsworthy story. Drugs and hookers, it just doesn't get any better than that. I'll leave off before I wax garrulous about my well spent, wildly entertaining youth.

10. Dillon Pyron

"parent-son bond"?

Wow, a "parent-son bond". I kind of wish my father had brought me plates of drugs at 3 am, instead of flushing them. I'd probably be a lot more fucked up than I am. Thanks Dad, for not ruining my life.

Oh yeah, and thanks for not getting me prostitutes.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ex Broadcom Engineer

Once again, Ashlee.....NOT LA. Broadcom is in Orange County. Big difference. We are insulted when lumped in with LA. As a former Broadcom employee, old news and very widely known.

12. MTT

ex broadcom engineer: current dill-hole

wow... insider information for the "Broadcom Ex"... but maybe it's not widely known outside of the little SoCal circle you have going on in Los Orang-O-Linas county or where ever the crap Broadcom is located (who cares if it's LA or a little further south in OC? Honestly, that's not the point of the story.)

it would be nice to read a comment section one time without the ubiquitous "Well, I already knew that, so why didn't *you* ?" posting.

This topic is closed for new posts.