back to article Oxford University Libraries say chuck out your crap

A memo reaches Vulture Towers from Oxford University Library Services (OULS) warning that the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment(WEEE) regulations are soon to come into force. D-Day for the WEEE regulations is 1 July and will govern how we can dispose of all types of electrical hardware. But this is more than a heads-up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark Fenton

More EU Stupidity

I think this is more an indictment on the stupid laws that the EU gives us rather than the common sense attitude being display by Oxford...

2. Ivor

dumpster divin

"For any Reg readers in the Oxford area, we recommend you steer clear of any university library bins and the river Isis in the near future."

Ooh I don't know I'd suggest the opposite... there's probably going to be all sorts of interesting stuff kicking about in those bins.

3. Daniel

These regulations came in on 1st January

Oxford University Library may just have noticed, but the WEEE directive has been in force for months:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/innovation/sustainability/weee/page30269.html

Maybe they got distracted trying to decide which particular bits of crappy clipart they should use for their memos, and let the deadline slide past them?

Let's hope they replace their stock with lots and lots of Vista machines: the extra drain on the national grid would more than compensate for any reduction in their environmental impact.

4. Lucy Sherriff (Written by Reg staff)

WEEEEEEEE

For clarity: the Directive indeed came into force on January 1st, but enforcement will only begin on July 1st. Six months for everyone to get up to speed.

Cheers,

Lucy

5. Tim J

EU stupidity eh? Our stupidity more like.

Mark Fenton commented that the new WEEE regulations are an indictment of EU stupidity.

I'd suggest it is us, and our extremely wasteful attitude that is stupid. The WEEE rules will mean people will have to reappraise their old irresponsibly profligate ways.

6. Michael Corkery

RE: Mark Fenton's idiocy

Yes, getting manufacturers to become responsible for environmentally sound disposal is stupid. Because all it does is - at a low cost increase to the consumer - avoid all the toxic effects of pcb and other hazardous materials leaching from disposed electrical items into our soil and water table. Oh, and as manufacturer's have to face up to waste costs, makes them more aware of the real cost of the parts they put in. So it cuts down on toxic pollutants, means you don't have to source the environmental option yourself, and at a cheap rate to boot.

Idiot.

This topic is closed for new posts.