back to article Euro consumers don't trust IP for TV

Public scepticism over the reliability of broadband and the internet could sink IPTV - unless European service providers can develop hybrid or blended services that deliver more than "just TV", and unless they wean themselves off competing solely on price and speed. That's according to a survey of European consumer attitudes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Needs I say more ...

... than to direct people to http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/20/the_economics_of_prime_time/

The way things are currently, IP TV simply cannot work because there isn't going to be the bandwidth.

2. ad47uk

what is the point?

I can't see the point of this TVIP, for a start as have been said the bandwidth is not there and in the U.K, we either get shaped or capped. The artical says something about reliability and that is another problem, I have more problems with my Internet in the 9 years I have been using it than I have had in the 40 years of watching T.V, mind you that could change once we turn to digital T.V

Also most IPTV stuff is a load of repeats, I already see enough repeats on Freeview, so why on earth would I want to go though the hassle of IPTv just to watch more repeats?

I am interested in the technology, but that is about ti, I would not bother with it here and certainly not with the ISP I am with at the moment.

3. Andy Silver badge

French exception

This simply does not correspond to any kind of reality that I see, living in France.

Here, *all* the major ISPs are doing telly. No one could seriously enter the market without it, when for twenty quid a month you can have unrestricted 20+meg ADSL2+ with unlimited telephone calls to France and 49 other countries (including UK and US) plus a couple of hundred free TV channels, some of which are HD. No standing charge for the phone line, either.

http://www.free.fr

4. |333173|3|_||3

The french have it right

THe French have managed to get something set up better than the rest of Europe! Assuming the TV is any good this is probably one of the better deals I can think of, witht eexception of the 2Gbit connections in Shoreditch.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I Agree

Maybe France is a country we should be looking at for the services they offer. They already offer TV over the internet with one small box. you can also connect you computer to it for a 20mb broadband non shaped non capped service AND have unlimited telephone calls for half of what you pay now!!

The UK broadband market is capped, shaped and no where near the speeds of its closest rivals, and this is what will stop it progressing in the future with the inability to invest in new technology, new services, and a more stable reliable network.

Lets look at cable (Virgin Media) the network has so much potential yet as usual lacks the investment, instead they opt for 'Traffic Shaping' which has caused more problems than its worth, faults have got worse as they are now dealt with India, it lacks investment, and its OVER PRICED.

France, Unlimited Calls, 200 TV Channels & 20MB Broadband around £20, with cable its £37 just for 20MB which is shaped and not pulling the speeds 24/7!!!!

6. Tim J

But the French have a life...

OK, so the French have got 20meg unlimited unshaped hyper-broadband - but it wouldn't work here. Why? Coz the French have got a life away from the screen, they go out and do things, be sociable, have long lunches discussing philosophy and life, go for walks and play boule - in Britain fat-arsed nerds who rarely leave their keyboards would devour any such bandwidth downloading the latest episodes of an ultimately forgettable Yank sci-fi "must see" whilst simultaneously uploading stupifyingly boring ultra-high-res video of their every waking hour onto a shared social-networking vidblog service...

It's only a matter of time until some misguided member of the digerati starts wailing that uncapped unrestricted broadband is an inate human right.

This topic is closed for new posts.