back to article Spanish flag flies over Gibraltar

True patriots prepare to choke on your beef and oyster pie of olde England because, by the Lord Harry and Saint George, the Spanish flag today flies over the sacred Rock of Gibraltar: The Spanish flag flies over Gibraltar on Google Earth This outrage against British sovereign territory is the work of one "alvarITO", aided …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pah !

As grubby tax havens go it's pretty dire. They're welcome to it.

Of course they have to give up the hundreds of jobs it gives to the poor locals too.

As for being "British" well have you tried to get a decent curry or chinky out there ?

There are more than enough British colonies on the Costa Del Sol anyway.

2. Roger Greenwood

Vulcan Flies Again

About time they got them pesky vulcans airborne. Last I heard they could only go up and down the runways due to some paperwork problems. Send in the Lightnings!

3. Simon Painter

Let's have...

A white flag on the top of the Eiffel tower.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now all we need

...is Maggie Thatcher to send another thousand young lads on a jingoistic fools' errand, and to their deaths, so she can be re-elected... Well we've had Gulf II already...

5. Yuri

That's not Spain's

Spain's has a small shield in the middle-left of the yellow strip

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay

Get prepared, you infidels, the next step is to recover the Spanish Empire and then invade your country, and burn the statue of Nelson. It looks like Internet will finally make justice ;)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spanish Flag?

I'm pretty sure that's not the Spanish flag....

8. Chad H.

There's only one man...

There is only one man who can who can take away Gibraltar from the english.

That man is.... Jack Bauer.

9. Andrew Bright

Why don't we

just give them Scotland in return for an extended lease..

10. Gina

Just for laughs

let's give it back without telling anyone who lives there..

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Silas Humphreys

Nah, not the Union Jack.

Ceuta needs a Moroccan flag. As does the other one whose name I don't recall.

Hello, Senor Pot. I'm Kettle.

13. Big Pete

Where's

Horatio Hornblower when you need him?.

14. 4.1.3_U1

Melilla

Melilla's the other Spanish enclave on the Southern shore of the Med.

15. Stephen Jenner

Democracy...... Anyone?

The truth obout places like the Falklands and Gibraltar, is who lives there and which country do they feel more allegiance to. It is nothing to do with jingoism or any other historical claim.

The people of Gibraltar held a referendum there a couple of years back, and there was overwhelming support for leaving things the way they are. In fact it went further than that, they were prepared to declare independence from Britain in the event that we gave it to Spain, in some shady political deal.

In the case of Gibraltar, its a bit pointless anyway, as we have given our sovereignty away to the EU and pooled it with Spain anyway.

16. Dave Cheetham

Whatever next?

And nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition...

17. Gary

Well put Stephen.

Just wish the obvious was accepted by all.

18. Gav

Irony

I doubt the writer notices, but there is something ironic in a news story that fails to recognise a difference between English and British getting sniffy about nationality.

19. John Angelico

Headline: Huzzah receives Gilbertian response

Bootnote

A hearty "huzzah", an extra ration of grog and a signed photo of Lord Nelson for true patriot John Webster, who alerted us to this shameless act of piracy.

[Capt Corcoran] Bosun, in commemoration of this victorious occasion see that extra grog is served to the ship's company at 7 bells.

[Bosun] Begging your pardon, sir. If what?

[Capt Corcoran] "If what?" I don't understand!

[Sir Joseph Porter KCB] The gentleman is quite right - "if you please!"

[Capt Corcoran, through stiff upper lip and gritted teeth] "If - you - please!"

[Sir Joseph Porter KCB]

For I hold that on the seas,

The expression "if you please"

A particularly gentlemanly tone implants -"

[Chorus] And so do his sisters and his cousins and his aunts!

20. This post has been deleted by its author

21. Hedley Phillips

Gibraltar

All your bases belong to us!

22. Ishkandar

Oh dear

Poor, poor Al Tariq must be spinning in his grave to have such a fuss made over a rock named after him !! - Jib Al Tariq

23. Paul

"given our sovereignty away to the EU"??

Let's not forget that the country that controls our nukes, deploys our military, owns our media, determines our economic policy and pulls the strings of our Prime Minister is no member of the EU, which despite it's faults at least has the good manners to allow us to vote in it's parliamentary elections.

I'd rather have a democratic legal relationship with foreign countries than a "special" one thanks very much.

24. |333173|3|_||3

Generous:

We did give the Soanish back Minorca (as part of the Peace of Aimeins), so they should be happy with what they got.

I would say that it would be fair for the Spanish to have Gibraltar if they give us Madrid, Barcelona, and enough sities that the number of people who want to be part of the UK is as great as it is in Gibraltar. And good luck to the Spanish if they can do it.

Maybe the solution would be to destroy their navy again? We don't need Admiral Hornblower, we ned Lord Nelson adn Sir Francis Drake.

This topic is closed for new posts.