back to article Are there people with no sense of smell?

Also in this week's column: Why does natural selection take so long to get results? Why isn't pubic hair the same colour as hair on your head? Are there people with no sense of smell? Asked by Lucy Altmann of St Kilda, Victoria, Australia People who cannot smell suffer from some form of nasal dysfunction. Anosmia is the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Brian Bush

True account?

I'm struck a bit by how thoroughly some of DS' comments seem to portray him as isolated from his surroundings, socially. It appears to be presented as a real account, but after reading it I feel like I've just read a parable about how important olfactory sense is to social integration.

I guess part of me just wants to not believe the account, and I'm asking for reassurance.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can relate...

It is uncertain whether my anosmia is congenital or traumatic -- apparently it's a relatively common consequence of forceps birth. I have suffered one nasal injury as a teenager which may have modified the condition, but I was clearly anosmic for years before that.

My experience of taste seems to be similar to D.S.'s, although not quite identical. And I also consume more milk than anyone I know, although I'd have to sustain nearly my peak consumption for a month straight to match his, and that never happens. I too can detect irritants like vinegar and smoke, although I cannot reliably distinguish them.

I'm not aware of having the total presence of mind that D.S. claims. If I have an odd behaviour that seems to relate to my anosmia, it's that when someone goes "Smell that! Isn't it nice?", I routinely find myself politely sniffing and agreeing with them even though I haven't actually registered any scent.

D.G.

3. DS

Yep, s'true

All true, although there is probably some hyperbole. I drink apprx 1 gallon of milk every 2 days. Haven't bothered to figure out the pounds/per, but I definately drink more than anyone else I know. As to the request for validity, I wrote to Dr. Juan regarding his article on Zombie State Behaviors rather than anosmia, but my lack of a sense of smell is something I believe directly contributes to what I said in the rest of the article. Hope that helps!

4. A J Stiles

amount of milk

It's not that hard to work out your equivalent body weight of milk. One litre of milk weighs somewhere between 1.025 and 1.035kg, depending on fat content (a litre of skimmed milk is heavier than a litre of full-cream milk. Fat floats.)

Using the formula 1 stone = 6.3502932kg., we can work out your body weight in kg. and hence the equivalent volume of milk.

This topic is closed for new posts.