back to article Microsoft: You liked Windows 10 so much, you'll get 2 more in 2017

Microsoft is planning two releases of Windows 10 in 2017. The giant has said there will be no new features coming for the rest of 2016, so the plan is for “two additional feature updates” in 2017. Microsoft folded the news inside the overall headline grabber on Windows 10 Anniversary Update on August 2. There were no more …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Ample is as good as a feast

The manifest bounty of Anniversary Edition will be fine for 2016, plus the app updates of course.

I'm enjoying a seamless experience across Xbox One with Windows 10 Summer Upgrade, Lumia 950 with Windows 10 Mobile and laptop/nettop/2-in-1/tower PC all running Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.

It just works.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ample is as good as a feast

Which part of Microsoft do you work for?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Which part of Microsoft do you work for?"

He doesn't. He's from another planet - possibly another Universe.

2. fung0

So you're the person who desperately wants to run the same UWP apps (all 12 of them) on their PC, (Windows) phone and game (XB1) console?

Wow. You should be under glass at the Smithsonian, or the British Museum.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

I was thinking more of taking them to Badwater, Death Valley and leaving them alone in the middle of the salt pan with no water and no hat or shoes.

3. Preston Munchensonton
      Mushroom

Hardly can call something a feast or ample when it effectively shrinks user choice down to: 1) Stay on Windows 7; 2) Convert to Linux or Mac; 3) Live with the clusterfuck that is Windows 10

Alienation of most users is not a way to stay in business.

4. hplasm
      Trollface

"It just works."

Only just - until the next 'update'.

5. MJI Silver badge

Well I would not want a desktop GUI on my Console, nor my phone, my console can also keep away from being a phone as well.

Anyway

PC is XP Pro dual boot with Mint

Consoles are CellOS and OrbisOS both with XMB GUI

Phones are Android or Symbian

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'two additional feature updates'

please, please, please Microsoft, can the 'first update' be a fully patched windows7 and the 'second update' be a fully patched Windows7...tank q

1. J. Cook Silver badge
      Pint

Re: 'two additional feature updates'

... I'll be happy if M$ created Service Pack 2 for Windows 7 and realeased it, TBH. I should not have to kill half a day and 4-5 reboot cycles installing updates after a fresh install of W7 SP1.

(You remember those, right? MS rolled up all the various patches, bugfixes, and updates into a single cohesive package that you downloaded, installed, and rebooted once to update a fresh from install media to a reasonably recent point in time to keep from going through the update process 4-8 times? Or even better, could merge with the installation media to make life easier? I miss those, too.)

Beer, because it's friday.

1. cd / && rm -rf *

I'll be happy if M$ created Service Pack 2 for Windows 7 and realeased it, TBH

Er, they have. They just haven't called it SP2.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3172605

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Thats not a service pack update, its a security patch rollup. A service pack when applied means you dont then need any other updates that came before it.

If you apply that update (the security update rollup) you still need to apply other additional updates (150+) that came before it that apply to other things. Its not a service pack, hence why its not named SP2.

1. psychonaut

wsusoffline

ive recently started using this, it is miles quicker than win update on win 7.

win 7 updates have been taking ages recently....(days) ....the cynic in me reckons its deliberate

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Take a look at wsusoffline ;) i believe it has an auto reboot to rinse and repeat next round feature.

And it will manage to apply updates to a fresh install of sp1, where as 99% of the time windows update wont... its almost as if microshaft intentionally changed something to ensure people who did a fresh install of 7 didnt get updates (left unpatched) and lost 50% of their run time to the never ending tail spin windows update appears to go into after asking a fresh install to check microshaft update.

3. Biggered

.......I'll be happy if M$ created Service Pack 2 for Windows 7 and realeased it, TBH

Bit late to the party on this...

MS have released what they call a convenience update KB3125574 which is almost SP2.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574

Not available for WU, you have to get it from the update catalogue.

3. frank ly

"...as home users begin to potentially digest Anniversary Update."

Any more digestive system analogies?

1. davidp231

There's always the laxative related ones.

2. David 132 Silver badge

Any more digestive system analogies?

Given that users will get the AU whether they want it or not, I think the digestive-related term that comes to mind is "gavage".

Look it up if unfamiliar.

4. Anonymous Custard
    Trollface

Add and subtract

So no new features, but how many more of the existing ones are they going to remove?

5. nautica Silver badge
    Happy

What should have been said...

"...The delay would almost certainly help on the consumer front, as home users begin to potentially digest--and get over the dry heaves-- Anniversary Update."

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: What should have been said...

"It puts the Anniversary Update on its PC or it gets the hose again"

6. YARR

Out of interest....

does anyone know if the Windows development team is still based in Redmond?

1. Captain Badmouth
      WTF?

Re: Out of interest....

Windows development team..?

1. Captain DaFt

"Windows development team..?"

Yeah, these guys, shown here working on the next version of Skype.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Today's target: 47.639963 N; 122.130295 W. Fire at Will

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Angel

Why? What have I done to annoy you?

2. davidp231

Which one's Will, do you know these people?

7. DonL

Happy with anniversary update

It was actually the first time I was enthusiastic about a Microsoft update, but the anniversary update with the Windows Subsystem for Linux is great as it creates a lot of new possibilities. Now you can really use the power of the Linux commandline and scripting under Windows, which will really boost productivity on the Windows desktop. For me it puts upgrading to Windows 10 higher on the agenda.

Hopefully they'll add built-in X11 support next year!

1. keithpeter Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Happy with anniversary update

"Now you can really use the power of the Linux command line and scripting under Windows, which will really boost productivity on the Windows desktop."

Can you give us a concrete example of how having a bash session running in an Ubuntu userland can 'boost productivity' given the kind of tasks people use Windows PCs for?

1. DonL

"Can you give us a concrete example of how having a bash session running in an Ubuntu userland can 'boost productivity' given the kind of tasks people use Windows PCs for?"

Certainly, people regularly have for example a CSV file that needs to be reformatted for input in another application. With WSL it is no longer required to find/install windows equivalent/ported tools (sed/bash/perl/etc) in order to complete the task.

Another example is when software works on one PC and not on another, you can now just run find/md5sum/diff to find the differences between those PC's which greatly speeds up troubleshooting.

And also grep is very usefull for a large variety of tasks. And of course vim (with all it's features and syntax highlighting) is a very powerfull tool.

And there are many more. In short, WSL enables users to run a whole new ecosystem of tools on Windows.

1. Richard Plinston

> a CSV file that needs to be reformatted

I am sure that many Windows users would load it into Excel or LibreOffice and point-and-click their way to a different format.

> grep is very usefull for a large variety of tasks. And of course vim

Both of which have native Windows versions.

> WSL enables users to run a whole new ecosystem of tools on Windows.

It may be a different ecosystem, but most tools already exist for Windows. Not that I care either way.

1. DonL

"I am sure that many Windows users would load it into Excel or LibreOffice and point-and-click their way to a different format."

You are right, but at some point they will get stuck (too complex, too many rows) and obviously it is saves a lot of time to script it once and then just run it for years instead of doing it manually everytime.

grep and vim (I use gvim a lot) do indeed have alternatives, but the power of grep lies often in being able to use pipes.

And while there may be alternatives for windows it's very cumbersome to find/download/install them instead of just running "apt-get install" (which works great in WSL). Also windows alternatives can't use pipes. And with X11 support (which is not yet available) you can also extremely easily script graphical prompts in your scripts using xdialog.

The reason people don't see the potential yet is because it has only just become available. Once it's widely installed people will start to realise (through google) that they can also use any previously Linux-only solution to complete their task IN ADDITION to the tools they are already used to.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Your deluded if you think any users going to magically see benifit of doing what they already could do a better way as for bash vs cmd is limited, cygwin has a native bash / shell interface, issues with rsync, opened cmd to make calls instead of using bash, i think you might have been using it wrong...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. DonL

"cygwin has a native bash / shell interface, issues with rsync, opened cmd to make calls instead of using bash, i think you might have been using it wrong..."

Thanks for pointing this out. Apparently Babun (based om cygwin) comes with an extensive package repository and solves a lot of cygwin drawbacks.

I've first used Cygwin on Windows 98 (and Linux since people were still on Win95). Apparently my knowlegde in this area got out-of-date (and the Babun project is only 3 years old).

2. cd / && rm -rf *

WSL enables users to run a whole new ecosystem of tools on Windows

So does Cygwin, and it doesn't come with spyware, telemetry, ads or enforced updates.

1. DonL

"So does Cygwin"

I have seen people bringing that up more often, but cywin doesn't provide real Linux compatibility so the performance isn't very good and you can't run the actual Linux binaries so it provides only a subset of the tools. Try for example to rsync some files over ssh and you will see that you will run into limitations.

Also the cmd.exe terminal in Win7 is very poor compared to the bash terminal in Windows 10, making cygwin unpleasant to work with unfortunately.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Im sorry, ive been using rsync over ssh on cygwin for years it works perfectly well, ive even extended its ability though a few batch scripts and windows developer tools to extended into being able to run against shadow copies... pull the other one it works just fine. As for running linux binaries, why would you want to do this... anyone normal person who would want to do this would use a bear metal or linux vm that actually had a proper package manager and updates and ssh in... its a completely pointless and fixes a problem that didnt exist.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Wow a whole new users land of features they could already run and have been since windows xp (telemetry free, cough cough cough), seriously if you need those features so much maybe you should just run linux instead, or would that make the boss unhappy.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Now you can really use the power of the Linux commandline and scripting under Windows"

But wouldn't you be better off running it under Debian or Suse or Slackware or...?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Really, maybe you should be legally obliged to point out your on Microshafts payroll. Ever heard of cygwin, no well your not a very productive person are you... good luck with that.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Insert free advert for MICROS~1

The Borg Meet Bill Gates

9. jockmcthingiemibobb

Steaming pile of

Most of the whole day setting up new Windows 10 PC. Next morning won't boot. Recovery options all fail. Spend another half day setting it up. Same again. Another half day, this time ensuring I create restore points every half hour. Craps out again. Oh...and no restore points available. WTF?

Give up, bung in Windows 7 SSD from my old dead PC. Boots up, picks up drivers from DVD and even activates.

1. Baldy50

Re: Steaming pile of

Would this word do?

Floccinaucinihilipilification.

2. Mystic Megabyte
      FAIL

Re: Steaming pile of

Known here as a crock o'shite

10. boidsonly

The Anniversary Update ripped out my Ethernet and WiFi (again). Nothing I did would enable them-I had to revert back to the prior Win 10 build. Now they work again. Go figure, M$. You idiots.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Router issue?

Did you reset your Router? Losing both Ethernet and Wifi sounds more like a Router conflict issue. Have the same name but a different install of Windows 10 confuses the hell out of my Netgear Router, causing a name conflict.

11. Magani
    Flame

So Redstone 2 is coming.

I hope it has more luck than the original...

https://youtu.be/7O4V7JfeTSU

12. Carl D

I actually downloaded the Windows 10 Anniversary Update ISO yesterday, put it on a USB stick (with Rufus) and installed it on a spare solid state drive.

It lasted about half an hour before I wiped it and reconnected my Windows 7/Linux Mint dual boot SSD.

W10 has become even more of a mess than it was before... take a bow, MS. I didn't think it was possible (I'm fibbing... I really knew you could do it going on your 'performance' lately).

As soon as it started updating Candy Crush and several other 'apps' without my intervention, that was the end of it for me. Oh, and by the way MS - my computer runs PROGRAMS, not APPS.

Apps are the silly little amateurish things (which usually try to extort money from you with 'in app purchases') that run on smartphones and tablets... oh, wait... I think I've just described most of the unwanted bloatware that comes with W10.

And, I don't want to spend time reinstalling programs that W10 deems 'unworthy' and removes every time W10 has a major update. I also don't want to keep changing my settings back to what I want after they're continually changed to MS's defaults which also seems to happen every time there's a W10 update.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Finally the Mojang take over pays off!

"It’s reported here, however, that an update for Windows 10 called Redstone 2 that had been due for this year had been pushed into spring 2017."

Because without owning Mojang (company behind Minecraft) they might have gotten into trouble naming this monstrosity 'Redstone' but now they can without problems.

Just too bad but I'm still more interested in the actual redstone (Minecraft component) than this :P

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like