back to article Dell blades up EqualLogic storage arrays

Dell is previewing a new blade server implantation of its EqualLogic storage arrays that will slide into its M1000e blade enclosures and offer customers and all-blade server, storage, and switch option, while at the same time not many compromises on performance or density. The EqualLogic PS-M4110 blade array takes up two half- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. quarky
    Gimp

Striping across SAN units?

"This includes Array Software 6.0, which turns the disk clusters into a SAN and automatically virtualizes and optimizes the placement of data on the arrays."

So this means that as well as striping across disks, we can strip the entire thing across several Equallogic units? I hope so, we have been waiting for that..

1. DannyH
      Thumb Up

Re: Striping across SAN units?

You have been able to stripe across members in an EQL group for a long time already. Initially done by storage pools, and since then the algorithms have been changed and improved and unless you specifiy otherwise, the arrays automatically stripe across one another when in the same group. If you want more information, get in touch.

1. quarky

Re: Striping across SAN units?

Thanks, I was actually talking about striping an entire array, not just a volume. So if you have three/four/five arrays, you can lose one, and carry one. That would be nice!

2. Lusty

No, they won't allow network RAID. Lefthand do this but perform like dogs.

The Equallogic is all about performance and balancing load, and the new algorithm greatly enhances that. I've never lost a whole box so I don't think it's a concern since they are internally resilient. You are able to "eject" an array for maintenance though if you have the space within the group.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like