back to article Minority Report-style swishery demoed with cheap webcam

New tech at GTC12 lets punters pretend to be Tom Cruise in Minority Report: opening windows, moving them, closing them, and essentially acting like a cool, futuristic cop. Eyesight Mobile Technologies performed an interesting demonstration on the exhibit floor. In the video, marketing director Liat Rostock shows us how the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hrmmm.

This seems familiar....

2. Shane8
    WTF?

Microsoft already did it!

MS Kinect does this already (?)

1. jai

Re: Microsoft already did it!

But this has far far better resolution than Kinect. Much more accurate and able to detect a greater range of gestures.

Plus, apparently it'll only cost $70 so it's cheaper too.

2. tirk
      Windows

Re: Microsoft already did it!

Yes, but Windows 8 is all full screen, and has banned windows!

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"Swishery"

A great new Reg-worthy word, well done.

4. Crisp

Is Swishery the new Fondle?

Yet another input type to code for.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old news

We demonstrated something very similar to the Minority Report screens a number of years ago when we took delivery of the first frameless LCD monitors. OK, they were not transparent and the user had to wear gloves for the cameras to maintain an accurate lock, but we had an interactive system the size of the BBC weather reports (in fact they were one of the people we demonstrated it to!)

Anonymous because the people who did buy it would rather not you know who we or they are, or how good it is now!

6. Giles Jones Gold badge

It seems to be just a mapping thing. So if your hand is central in the web cam image the cursor is central on the screen.

Hardly much use?

7. Andy 73 Silver badge

LeapMotion?

http://www.leapmotion.com/

8. Horridbloke
    Boffin

HHGTTG

"The machine was rather difficult to operate. For years radios had been operated by means of pressing buttons and turning dials; then as the technology became more sophisticated the controls were made touch-sensitive—you merely had to brush the panels with your fingers; now all you had to do was wave your hand in the general direction of the components and hope. It saved a lot of muscular expenditure, of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same program."

Spot on yet again Mr Adams.

9. Ian Yates
    Thumb Down

Is it just me?

I don't really get why we need gesture control everywhere... isn't this just 3DTV all over again?

I've played with some voice control TVs, and that was quite interesting, but waving at a screen is harder than using a remote... and less precise.

1. Al Jones

Re: Is it just me?

I don't know about you, but I always know where my hands are........

10. jubtastic1
    Paris Hilton

Young attractive Solution WLTM Problem for LTR

"No preferences, will try anything, age not a concern."

I particularly liked the 'turning a page on the thing in your hand' demo, that was just fantastic.

11. Ammaross Danan
    Headmaster

RDFM

"RDFM" as in http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rdfm

or likely the more sophisticated "RTFM"....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like