back to article Microsoft to devs: Don't ruin Win 8 launch with crap code

Microsoft has urged developers to only use approved Windows 8 software interfaces to avoid spoiling the launch of its new operating system with dodgy code. In a stark warning this week, the company said third-party programmers should “resist the temptation” of invoking APIs that aren’t included in the official Software …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. stucs201

Microsoft to devs: Don't ruin Win 8....

....too late for that, you've already ruined it yourselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Microsoft to devs: Don't ruin Win 8....

Beat me to it.

Dev's to microsoft: hey you started it.

1. Robert E A Harvey
        FAIL

Aye

Pot, meet kettle

2. henrydddd
        Linux

I detect the distinct scent of fear by MS in this article.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What!

or like some android developers have done with their battery draining, detail stealing, ad filled apps?

1. Ilgaz

Here is what happens

On Android, all devices have "what has been using the battery" function. If your app (not game) makes to that list or a technical user (or rival) bust your app using excessive cpu at background, you are doomed. 1 star reviews, people asking their money back and blog posts will sure erase you from market.

That is "open market". Customers decide.

Ms just tries to photocopy Apple without being Apple or having their customer profile.

3. Code Monkey
      Windows

[guffaw] Coming from Microsoft is is hilarious.

4. Fatman
      FAIL

Hell, they ruined it long time ago, WinBloMo anyone???

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

hahahahahaha

Its like getting someone to drive a totalled car to the scrapyard, and telling them "Don't ruin it!..."

5. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Amazing. MS are being no more restrictive than Apple, perhaps less so, and yet they receive all this cr@p comment!

2. Nigel 11
    Mushroom

Oh, PLEASE

Microsoft has just told you how to strangle this abomination at birth. Do you need any further encouragement?

1. Mikel
      Windows

Re: Oh, PLEASE

Good point! Off to build some W8 cRapps that use the secret APIs to accidently crash Metro. No doubt the malware hackers are already all over this one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm not a developer so please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but shouldn't these APIs be restricted?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You expect MS to remember to restrict the APIs?

I thought IE was famous for it's poorly implemented hooks into the OS.

3. DrXym

Are Microsoft implicitly admitting...

... that the only way to install apps is through their store? Because that would be an awfully shitty thing to inflict on users if its true.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Are Microsoft implicitly admitting...

...the 1st clue was a couple of weeks back when they revealed the 3rd Win8 build (forget its name, its the corporate version), with 'sideloading' of Metro apps as an extra feature. Yes, Metro is locked down on the desktop as well as the phones.

2. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Gimp

Shitty indeed!

Apple would never do that!

1. jnemesh
        FAIL

Really? Apple is starting to do that now. They already have an app store for Mac, and they are limiting access to APIs depending on if the app is sold in the app store or not.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@jnemesh

Looks like someone needs a sarcasm detector here...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@jnemesh

So in other word, Apple aren't limiting how you install software.

3. Fatman
          WTF?

It looks like your sarcasm tags got removed!

Lousy forum software!

1. Ilsa Loving
            Facepalm

"It looks like your sarcasm tags got removed!

Lousy forum software!"

See what happens when you use 3rd party APIs?

2. Ilgaz

Private frameworks exist on Apple os too

Every modern operating system, especially object oriented one like os x does have private frameworks and I don't know a single developer who loves to use them or trust them.

The issue here is, the win rt API is pathetically basic and you can't code anything real with it unless you use private frameworks which Microsoft happily use with internet explorer/ office etc.

Btw, when apple said something is private, they really meant it. In fact, interestingly, they "beta" tested future frameworks shipping them/ using them as private and making them public once they are mature.

Microsoft can't abuse Apple's operating system as an excuse.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No - the only way to install metro apps is through the store, you can install all your regular app just like you did before.

4. auburnman

Marketing is working

All this talk of Windows 8 keeps reminding me I have to hurry up and buy a new PC.

While Windows 7 is still easily available.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Marketing is working

"Marketing is working

All this talk of Windows 8 keeps reminding me I have to hurry up and buy a new PC.

While Windows 7^H XP is still easily available."

Fixed it for you.

1. Wile E. Veteran
        Devil

I'm in no hurry to buy a new PC. BSD and Linux will be available and easy to get for quite some time to come.

Well, somebody had to say it!

1. Matthew 25
          Meh

Yes but with which UI?

2. Ilgaz

Better support fsf/gnu for this, only 28000 (yes, thousands) signed so far.

www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/statement

Or, we will end up jail breaking our pcs to install Linux/BSD.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Is it any wonder the large manufacturers won't waste time and money developing products for such a tiny market!

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Linux

No worry, as win7 will be available for years due to demand just like XP got several stays of execution.

So please don't give them any more money then necessary?

Tux - 'cause he/she is cheap, and I like IT!

5. pip25
    FAIL

Meanwhile

Internet Explorer is likely calling the very same APIs that developers (including Mozilla) should not use. But IE is made by Microsoft, and they know what they're doing, right? Right...?

Talk about hypocrisy...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile

"But IE is made by Microsoft, and they know what they're doing, right? Right...?"

...but DO they?

2. Chris 155
      Paris Hilton

Re: Meanwhile

This is just reiterating an old truth. If you use undocumented APIs they can and probably will change without notice. If you're the office or internet explorer team you will probably get told this is going to happen(with at least 5 minutes notice).

It's not about the APIs being bad as such, or about Microsoft knowing what they're doing, it's about change management. Published APIs require massive amounts of hoopla to change, and they generally have to keep the old APIs around in a deprecated state for the next 10 years so that legacy code works. Unpublished APIs on the other hand can essentially be changed at will, won't remain in a deprecated state and the first notification you as an outside developer will receive that these APIs have been changed is when your program fails.

This isn't new, nor is it distinctly Microsoft. The interesting part of this article is that Microsoft realizes that crappy third party software impacts their reputation.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Corporate stuff

If there was ever an example of corporate bullying and arrogance, this would be a fine one to use.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Don't write shit code, please....

.....we have a patent on that.

1. Vanir
      Go

Re: Don't write shit code, please....

Yes, it was bought from the worldwide developer community.

2. Fatman
      Mushroom

Re:.....we have a patent on that.

'cuz Oracle might sue them!!

<----- Appropriate icon for Oracle.

8. MIc
    FAIL

So many awesome comments in here...

So many comments in here full of logical insight. Which is a nice change from the rest of the internet where people say stuff that is clearly driven entirely from emotion.

I was half expecting some crap about how WinRT removed almost all synchronous IO operations to make it harder for developers to create crappy apps that spin up a bunch of unneeded threads.

Well done reg readers... well done.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So many awesome comments in here...

People as whole are often conservative and repetitive in their thinking aren't they. Who needs unwanted threads in software when we find so many same old conversational threads here. Too easy to spot the commentators who've never written any serious software but don't let that stop them commenting on APIs and stuff.

2. Ilgaz

There is a fire in house and you care about dishes

Their first release is such a bad joke that you can't release a third party browser (which became like command.com important) for mobile devices coming with it.

Got it? No Firefox, no opera mobile.

Stuff you mention sound cosmetic. I guess it is very important but come on, this sounds like playbook type of mistake.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: There is a fire in house and you care about dishes

Mate, you need to go away and learn the difference between a metro app and a Win32 app. You'll be able to install whatever browser you want on your x86 machine, it's only IE-only on a Metro only device - ie an Arm unit.

9. Graham Wilson
    Windows

Too late, Windows 8/ARM is already an 'Also Ran'.

Unless a miracle happens, it's my intention to ignore it completely.

As stucs201 says, Microsoft has already ruined Metro/Windows 8

'Nuff said.

__

WARNING: Engage with Metro and the 'Windoze User' icon will end up flattering you!

10. Bucky 2
    Pint

Oooh! Oooh! I have an idea!

How about document the entire API, so it wouldn't actually be POSSIBLE to use "undocumented" API calls?

Yaaaaaayyy!

1. MIc
      Thumb Down

Re: Oooh! Oooh! I have an idea!

Terrible idea.

What do you do we code you want depreciate and then remove? If you document it and people use it now you will break existing apps so you end up leaving it in there for a very long time?

What if can lead to bad app design? Such as all of the synchronous APIs in the Win32 API?

I don't think your comment has taken into account the long term ramifications of documenting everything?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Oooh! Oooh! I have an idea!

I don't think your comment has taken into account the fact that the above comment was a joke.

More seriously, if the public APIs are so great for writing a Metro application, why would anyone turn to the "unofficial" APIs? Could it be that Microsoft also thinks that *gasp* the SDK in its present form leaves something to be desired, and that many programmers might take a look into the "dark side"?

It's a bit like including a desktop version of Office into Windows RT. It's a confession which states "Err yeah, Metro is cool, but we can't really make Office work on it yet." If these unofficial APIs are among the "secret stuff" used by Metro IE, that's another confession: "Windows RT is fun, but there are things which we can't build with it ourselves either."

Instead of whining about "customer confidence" and making thinly veiled threats about store policy, Microsoft should create an API which is, first of all, completely public and stable enough that the deprecations you mention won't be a problem for some time, and second, allows for at least the amount of freedom they want for THEMSELVES when creating an application like Metro IE.

Who knows, maybe they'll do just that for Windows 9...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What do you do we code you want depreciate

Downvoted for not knowing the difference between deprecation and depreciation.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Damage control already ?

Oh I can see it now...

Mr. Steve: "Dear investors, you may wonder why Windows 8 managed to sell even less copies than Windows Vista. I can say this; its not us. No: Developers, developers, developers, developers, ..."

<skip>

"....and so: Developers! And as you can see we foresaw this coming and issued several warnings. But did they listen? No!".

"So now I hope you'll approve /more/ investment into Windows 8 so that we can set things right!". Mr. Steve thinks: "I only hope I didn't accidentally fire the only guys who still know how to program a start menu..."

1. stanimir

Re: Damage control already ?

I can say this; its not us. No: Developers, developers, developers, developers, ...

Exactly my though.

12. Mage Silver badge

APIs that are outside the SDK

But MS will use them.

And invent more they don't tell about when it suits them.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like