back to article RIM-Moto sketch THIRD nanoSIM design as peace offering

RIM and Motorola reportedly hope to break the deadlock over the design of future SIM cards by offering a blueprint that'll either appease every party or alienate all sides equally. At issue is the shape and size of the standard next-generation SIM: Apple and a band of network operators want a tray-requiring shape and contacts …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim Parker

"The silver block to the right of the A4 chip is where the microSIM goes"

Is that Apples own unique version of 'right' ?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: "The silver block to the right of the A4 chip is where the microSIM goes"

Oh don't. It's been a long day.

C.

1. Tim Parker

"Oh don't. It's been a long day."

I agree - shall we continue to pretend we're interested in SIMs, or all go for a cold beer ?

2. LarsG
      Happy

Re: "The silver block to the right of the A4 chip is where the microSIM goes"

After the micro sim will we get the incy wincy tiny teenie little red and silver weenie sim?

Couldn't find a rhyming word for sim?

2. Crisp

Have they patented this?

Or are they releasing this into the public domain?

Because no patent would equal no licensing restrictions which would make adoption of the standard much easier.

3. stranger

questions

I don't get it, if Apple is concerned with the size of the SIM, wouldn't a tray-less SIM be better for them?

also, does this mean that the new design is meant to make the SIM card hot-swappable?

sorry, haven't been keep track of this news.

4. Steve Knox

Software SIMs?

I though Apple et al were trying to get rid of the plastic bits altogether?

5. jubtastic1

Just a stab in the dark

But I suspect Apple's objection to a tray less design is because either the sim is going to be visible from the outside, like a SD card in a MacBook or necessitate some sort of swing out surface panel for it to hide behind, or heaven forbid, require a design with a removable back.

Basically I think the tray design is a lesser compromise of their design ethic.

6. Valerion

RIM? Motorola?

Oh yes, I remember them. They used to make phones, right?

7. Mage Silver badge
    Alert

Get rid of the SIM and you can fit another chip in there:

With increasing integration of SoC and reducing number of chips, lack ot keypad and big screen I think it's more about making it awkward for users to swap SIMs.

I find it hard to believe than that even the current small Apple SIM is needed. My older phone uses regular SIM yet has more chips, a keypad and longer battery life than an iPhone.

Apple in reality want phones to be like the consumer unfriendly CDMA-1 phones with no SIM.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IP Land grab

A big issue wit Apple's design is that everyone else will have to give their IP away too.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Why do we need SIMs at all?

Can't this be done with software? I remember rumors from a couple years ago that Apple was working on eliminating the SIM and doing it in software, but that talk died down soon after. Either it was false, or Apple was shot down hard by the carriers who presumably fear the ease with which someone could have a phone with a half dozen SIMs that automatically picked the best rate for each call or data connection depending on where one was located at the moment.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Why do we need SIMs at all?

Well CDMA phones don't have SIMs, but I'm not sure that is a good thing. I like being able to move my account from one handset to another or changing my handset to a different account by moving the SIM card.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why do we need SIMs at all?

A software SIM doesn't eliminate the ability to move your account between phones, there are some obvious ways this could be done. The fact you can't do this in CDMA is most likely a deliberate oversight. Carriers have no incentive to make switch phones and/or providers more easy, and some obvious incentives to make it difficult or impossible.

10. unlockworldwide

While my vested interest is obvious I am concerned that part of Apple's intransigence suggests a strategy to deny device owners (not subscribers) the right to replace a SIM. While unlocking is much misunderstood it is a valuable service to many migratory users.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why should Apple want this?

Apple (nor any other phone manufacturer) has zero incentive to make it harder for people to swap SIMs, its the carriers who have reason to make it more difficult. The inability to unlock the AT&T iPhone until recently was likely something contractual Apple had to agree to in order to get AT&T to agree to other terms Apple wanted.

11. Neal 5

fuck all that shit

I'll use MS Skype

12. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

"...the SIM is now taking up the same space as the main processor."

So what? The whole lot put together is tiny when compared to the size of the screen, which is what governs the case size.

There comes a point at which the thing's either too thin to be robust enough in general use or too small to be usable, unless you have miniscule fingers and cyborg eyes with a magnifying function. I think we're already there.

13. Robert Forsyth

Won't it be only a little bit smaller with current pads?

If you keep the existing pad layout, you can only trim a few millimetres off one edge (with the orientation wedge).

I think you want something like a pin or nail with contacts (and securing notch) like a jack plug. Assuming you don't want to store your contacts on the SIM / PIM.

14. PeterM42
    Holmes

Compatibility

Apple want to ensure their products are incompatible and difficult to access so they can lock users in to their products.

A micro-SIM + a tray must take up the same space as a 2FF standard SIM, so SIZE was not relevant to Apple with the iPhone 4

The 2FF form factor is quite small enough. - What about BATTERY size? - they need to work on that.

Easily removable click/stop SIM cards - GOOD idea.

Easily exchangeable memory cards - GOOD idea.

Easily exchangeable battery - GOOD idea.

Micro-SIM, Non-removable battery & non-exchangeable memory cards (a la iPhone 4) - BAD ideas.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like