back to article VeriFone takes on Square with cheaper iPhone-friendly kit

Payment-terminal giant VeriFone is finally taking the fight to upstart Square, with its own iPhone-friendly card reader and lower transaction fees along with a cloud-based control panel and promises not to treat every customer as a potential criminal. VeriFone dubs its Square clone "Sail", on the basis that its iPhone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Be nice to accept payments @ 1.95% in the UK where the fcuking banks the tax payers saved rip you off.

1. Emo

Come back when you can string a sentance together.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ Emo

Come back when you can spell "sentence".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

still waiting for this

In the uk! A way to keep prices down rather than being tied to a mobile card reader through the banks. Hire the card reader pay the bank a percentage usually higher than in the US... Charges charges charges, I pay for the privilege of card reader to put money in the banks pockets.

I feel better now I've had my rant.

2. tillify

re sqaure, sail, tillify

Sounds like sail from verifone is going to be great for more established retailers with the lower rates. THe square app is sensational but it won't be long before more payment providers jump on board. first Square then Paypal now verifone. This is good for the merchants.

Disclosure: I am ceo and founder of Tillify.com we build disruptive payment, cash register and pos apps that work like square and verifone but on centered on larger volume established business. Our apps run in the cloud and use devices like Ipad, Androids and web browsers to make it a synch to run pos in any business.

3. Mark Zip
    FAIL

Square is available on Android...

... and has been since at least November 2010, which is when I started using it to process payments for the used records I sell at record fairs.

Also, the new version of the Square dongle encrypts the card information before feeding it on to the iOS or android device. See here: http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/26/square-adds-encryption-to-its-square-reader/ (Venturebeat)

As to the hardiness of the Square dongle, I have had no problems at all. It kicks around in my pocket all the time and I use it at restaurants and bars when my companions have no cash on hand. I pay the bill in cash and my friends pay me via the Square (plus a small "convenience" fee, of course)

A little more reporting before writing, please.

(Fail icon becuse the Reg gravestone icon appears to be missing)

4. Dan Harris
    FAIL

Chip n Pin?

It doesn't do Chip n Pin - surely thats a FAIL?

EMV is being pushed in the States and is supposed to be rolled out from April 13 I think I read somewhere else.

5. sugerbear

[quote]It doesn't do Chip n Pin - surely thats a FAIL?

EMV is being pushed in the States and is supposed to be rolled out from April 13 I think I read somewhere else.[/quote]

+1000000000000

If you are based in Europe and accept payments from a chip card issued in europe you are accepting 100% of the liability if you choose to use the magstripe and the cardholder subsequently denies the transaction was done with their card.

If I were europe based i would read the t&c's because I am pretty sure that the cardholder wont be held liable when one of these terminals is used.

Europe needs a chip capable reader not a prehistoric mag reader.

6. tillify

Square have disrupted an enormous market space. Paypal and Verifone are following in their footsteps with nothing new. That said clearly this huge space will be filled with many players. POS or point of sale has many many vertical markets and these big players with their simple apps cant possibly fill it. To that end sail is promising an API to allow smaller start-ups to use the simpleness of the ease of sign up to credit card services, as this clearly is what is fueling this trend. Many new stores and business's like the ease of entry that square offers. But clearly once on board they see the need for more defined apps that fit their model and vertical market.

Disclosure: I work for Tillify.com. We build mobile payment apps for Android, IPad, Mac and PC. Like square, Paypal and sail we allow you to accept payment and run your business using a mobile device.

This topic is closed for new posts.