back to article Balsillie bails as RIM reports terrible quarter

Former co-CEO of RIM Jim Balsillie is to leave RIM's board of directors, along with two other senior executives, after the company reported a thumping $125m loss for the last quarter. "As I complete my retirement from RIM, I'm grateful for this remarkable experience and for the opportunity to have worked with outstanding …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mikel

That's that then

Would have been nice to be holding some call options right about now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's that then

And so RIM begin their final journey of decent into oblivion and join the famous what its Such as Betamax, HD DVD, LaserDisc.

Into the fog of memories they decend.

2. Muckminded

Fustercluck in Motion

Please just divvy the cash, pretend not to have existed, hang up on incoming calls.

Or, slowly dwindle the reserves, get bought out and shrivel within some idiotocracy.

Or, grow a pair, quit talking bullshit, and take on the challengers directly, through better products.

At least you have options.

3. FanMan
    Go

If...

.. they would just sort out their horrible user interface(s) I might come back...

1. Gordon 10
      FAIL

Re: If...

Agree. I have a newish curve for work.

OS 7 is vile. Reminds me of Nokia's OS40 after gathering 5 years of cruft and then being bastardised for smartphone functionalities.

The keyboard is the worst hardware keyboard I have EVER used. I can type significantly faster on my iPhones soft keyboard.

Yes I know the curve is the base model - that doesnt excuse its basic functionality fails - especially as an email device.

I have 4-5 year old Windows Mob 5/6 phones that did the job better.

4. ratfox
    Windows

Sad, really.

I predict that in a few years, we will feel sadness when Microsoft finds itself in the same situation.

5. ad2apps
    Coat

Don't give up

They may have some dodgy phones - i don't like the keyboards on the curve ( too small) but loads do - mainly teenagers !. The touch phones are good though. The fact that at the moment you can write apps for them in RIM java or standard Java - portable across Nokias as well I think is great. Lets not forget the iphone is just the latest trendy fad fone and doesn't really offer anything more in functionality at all were else can the iphone go !.

1. Jay Zelos

Re: Don't give up

They have dropped Java support on BBX, Its native C++ or nothing. Daft idea when they have a large existing Java developer and app base and BBX on the PlayBook is suffering from a shortage of apps!

6. W.O.Frobozz
    FAIL

An alternate view...

Ok, no fan of RIM here at all, but...it seems that the new CEO is doing what we all wanted him to do mere months ago when he took over: admitting they are going in the wrong direction. Maybe he couldn't do it back in January with Mike Lazaridis standing right behind him, because he basically admitted to all that their curent Mike-based focus...security, and long battery life...is wrong: customers just don't care.

Now I know RIM all too well...the middle-management bureaucracy is the biggest stumbling block inside that company. The rank-and-file have lots of ideas that just get lost in the petty fiefdoms the middle-managers (and certain VPs) have created for themselves. And now the new guy is basically starting a purge from the top-down. It'll be really interesting (and hopefully satisfying) to see what happens when he hits the real dead-wood society...the middle-management mess.

1. Shonko Kid

Re: An alternate view...

"The middle-management bureaucracy is the biggest stumbling block inside that company. The rank-and-file have lots of ideas that just get lost in the petty fiefdoms the middle-managers (and certain VPs) have created for themselves..."

Ah, that age-old story. How often have we seen it recently?

This topic is closed for new posts.