back to article UK public sector IT jobs rebound - for permies

A quick note on the UK tech jobs scene in February, sourced from Computer People. The recruitment firm's IT Monitor service reports 13,024 permanent IT vacancies advertised during the month - slightly up on January. The public sector and media and creative sectors were bright spots, with vacancies up 28 per cent and 12 per …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ad2apps
    Coat

Hmmmmm

I wonder how many are actual real jobs ! as anyone who's had dealings with any agency know - jobs seem to appear , CV sent - black hole ! never heard of again !. Hey but lets be optimistic..

1. Arrrggghh-otron

Re: Hmmmmm

My favourite was the 'fantastic opportunity' that when pushed for detail turned out to be a non existent position, but that the employer would 'almost create a position for the right candidate' * and that 'I was the right candidate' but when pressed for further details about the employer/salary/location etc was strangely vague about that too, asking me to fill in an agency application form before they would talk to prospective employer. I politely informed the recruiter that I was reluctant to spent a couple of hours filling in his form due to the number of agencies who waste my time with jobs that don't exist but he was welcome to put me forward for the job and let me know how I got on... strangely haven't heard back from him.

I guess I missed out on that dream job!

*The recruiters words, not mine. My emphasis on 'almost'.

1. Blunderbuss
        Thumb Down

Re: Hmmmmm

I thought agencies spoofing jobs like that was illegal (it's certainly unethical).

Still doesn't stop them though.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Meh

Certainly agencies did fishing trip jobs

I don't know the current situation but there were definitely jobs which looked *very* suspicious.

A specific vacancy which will accept *any* language experience? Could be anywhere?

Either the recruiter has no idea what their *client* was talking about (not exactly impossible) or they are looking to plump up the CV bank.

I know what my money's on.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agency == Lies, Lies and more lies

A few years back, I saw this wonderful job advertised. Perfect location, salary and everything else.

The only problem was that it was for MY job. One that I'd (And the rest of the group) had been made redundant from as the company had been taken over and our jobs were moving abroad (India).

I did ask the agency what planet and dimentsion the job was on. The silence on the other end told me everything I needed to know.

It was nice while it lasted.

anon as I'm looking for a job at the moment. Another foreign take over sigh...

1. pPPPP

Re: Agency == Lies, Lies and more lies

I want a transfer in my current job to India. Without any drop in salary, naturally.

Goa or Kerala would be nice. I'd even try to learn Konkani or Malayalam.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good luck with that.

Expect an 80% drop in salary.

The good news is they'll accept a greater than 80% drop in competence.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I had a similar experience where I knew the guy who was 'recruiting' so I called him directly and it turned out the agency were using an old ad. He had no vacancies.

As well as all of the others where I call the recruiter to see if they've already got enough applicants to be told 'not at all'. Follow-up within a few days invariably finds that there has been a 'budget update' or 'strategy revision' and the post is no longer available.

Interestingly I did quite a bit of work for a Financial Services recruiter who seemed to actually have a long-term relationship with the applicants as well as the employers. He was genuinely surprised when i described the state of IT recruitment.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like