back to article Murdoch slams White House over SOPA in Twitter row

Rupert Murdoch has posted a series of rants on Twitter, accusing the White House of bowing to lobbying pressure over its lack of support for the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). “So Obama has thrown in his lot with Silicon Valley paymasters who threaten all software creators with piracy, plain thievery,” he posted on his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Microphage

use the Robots.txt file

"Murdoch, who is currently under investigation in the UK over phone hacking by his newspapers, is a longtime critic of what he sees as Google's role in enabling piracy"

If he don't want to show up on Google, then why don't he just use the robots.txt file on his sites?

http://www.robotstxt.org/faq/prevent.html

1. Stuart Moore
      FAIL

I assume...

I assume he's primarily referring to youtube

2. Ru

How do punters find stolen content?

Why, they search for it. Using a search engine such as google, presumably. Keeping Google from spidering your own stuff is trivial; keeping it from spidering copies thereof on servers you do not control less so. Hence the demand for SOPA; its one bit 'we don't understand and we don't know what to do'.

2. g e
    FAIL

bowing to lobbying pressure

Which as he knows damn well, is how SOPA got as far as it did in the first place.

Duplicitous, conniving, self-interested, inethical (not a typo), geriatric, oxygen-stealing bastard.

He got out-lobbied and he's crying like a little girl who didn't get the dolly she wanted for Xmas.

Fail. Cos his heart needs to.

1. Efros
      Joke

So

Not on your Christmas card list then?

1. g e

Xmas cards

Haha. No.

Does it show?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Devil

Why yes!

Present consists in pieces of coal accelerated to several hundred meters per second for good measure.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No but

...he did leave a voicemail ;-)

2. Arctic fox
      Flame

@g e RE: "bowing to lobbying pressure". The Dirty Digger really is a spectacularly....

.......hypocritical and dishonest shite. The Daily Tech posted this on 10th Jan.

"According to extensive research, anti-streaming lobbyists have engaged in a sweeping bribery scheme that paid for approximately 10 percent of all active Senators' total combined election costs."

The pro-SOPA lobbyist's activities have been even more shamelessly corrupt than is usual and the old saw about the best politicians that money can buy is highly apposite here.

http://www.dailytech.com/CES+2012+CEA+Prez+Blasts+Copyright+Extremists+Stop+Online+Piracy+Act/article23726.htm

1. Arctic fox
        Facepalm

I should just like to add the following: What is the core of the industry that the.......

........SOPA-political-palm-greasers are attacking? The *internet* self-evidently. Only the most extraordinary and comprehensive *information* gathering, processing and distribution technology invented in the whole of human history. What did those slimeballs expect when said industry struck back at that vile piece of lobby fodder? They are getting hosed and they are all upset? They can't understand how its happening? They really do not get the tech that they are attacking. They thought that this was just business as usual and they could slide this through without there being significant political consequences - what a bunch of planks.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you really suggesting he should die?

That is a deplorable sentiment if you are.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"That is a deplorable sentiment if you are."

In what way? There are some people the world would just be better off without.

2. N000dles
        WTF?

@ac

quote: "Are you really suggesting he should die? That is a deplorable sentiment if you are."

I would suggest something more like he should F**k off and die would be more appropriate.

Did Myspace ever host any copyright material? Did Vint Cerf, Paul Vixie and Tony Li hold us all to ransom and ass rape us over the years to become billionaires? If ever there was a freetard making a fortune out of someone else's intellect it is News Corp. I'm sure Sky never paid a penny to the engineers that gave Murdoch the ability to sprout his crap over the internet. Phone hacking, Murdoch, Morality (pick the word that doesn't belong)

3. John F***ing Stepp

I personally just think we should burn his damn sled.

(Probably keeps his soul in it.)

4. Miek
      Linux

"He got out-lobbied and he's crying like a little girl who didn't get the dolly she wanted for Xmas."

Yep, and if a crook like Murdoch is all-for SOPA, then I am all-against this act.

5. kissingthecarpet
      Thumb Up

That is a huge

number of thumbs up. Don't know if it's a record, but it's rare on the Reg to see that much agreement. Murdoch & his companies have wronged or offended so many people over the years, & none of them have forgotten....

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

Opening should be...

A boot licking lackey of Mr Murdoch has posted some of this thoughts on Twitter slamming those who have come out against SOPA.

Mr Murdoch who may or may not have posted on twitter himself has through his 'NewCorp' shareholding and positon on the board owns 'Fox News' and '20th Century Fox Studios'.

All in the aim of getting the facts right....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't it just heartwarming?

A muck-raking billionaire who made his fortune stealing personal/private data and buying up public events with the proceeds and then charging people for access now spits his dummy out because a government won't grant him the ultimate power to decide who gets to see what.

The world is so finished with you, Rupert.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, but...

May I remind you that for him and his progeny The World Is Not Enough. If there are no suitable news, news shall be fabricated to ensure that the ratings stay and the print editions circulation does not fall.

1. br0die
        Coat

That was "Tomorrow Never Dies", not "The World Is Not Enough"....

/coat, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Althought it is eay to mistake the two

As they were both shite...

1. Fuzz

Theme song

The world is not enough had a better theme song

5. Mikel
    Thumb Up

The legislation is turning toxic

Over here in the US the sentiment against these bills is turning so harsh that killing the bills may not be enough. To have ever supported them may be a career ender.

1. Neil Greatorex

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with you

I fear that in the old US money talks loudest.

For what other reason would the octogenarian twat become a USian.

1. gilstrac

agreed

agreed

2. Someone Else Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Mikel - I do hope you are right

But I'm not one myself to bet on the side of an enlightened American populace. (Call me cynical, but...)

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

@Mikel

"To have ever supported them may be a career ender."

Perhaps time to start a little list...

Seriously watch a few a videos of Senate and Congress committees. Between voter apathy and a solid list of donors who know how to "thank" their local politician at election time for seeing their PoV most of these jokers are in for multiple terms by default.

I don't think there are many "marginal" Senate or Congress seats where the incumbent only lasts a term.

The senior coffin dodger from South Carolina made it to a 100 without being deposed. There is *no* age limit for either house.

But note that with *so* much apathy a small(ish) determined group could cease control of local parties and push a covert agenda while wearing the face of one of the mainstream parties.

Oh wait, the Tea Party already did that...

"Take back your government" is not just a slogan.

6. William Boyle
    FAIL

Murdock, the burdock (a spiny weed)

Murdock is an Australian (he may be a naturalized US citizen, but so are a bunch of Al Queda terrorists), so what does he have to say about freedom of speech in the USA? Nothing that I want to hear, for sure, and I was BORN here!

1. LaeMing
      Joke

Serves you right!

Think you can dump subsidised produce on our markets without comeback? We sent you Murdoch as comeback! We're laughing now, Yanks!!

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

"Murdock is an Australian (he may be a naturalized US citizen, but so are a bunch of Al Queda terrorists), so what does he have to say about freedom of speech in the USA? Nothing that I want to hear, for sure, and I was BORN here!"

Ah, but I'll bet your antecedents were immigrants. So does that mean you have to listen to what Murdoch's descendants say if they were born in the US?

Or do you think that there's some sort of system that the further back your family history goes in the US then your word counts for more? If so why do native Americans not get more say than you?

In short Murdoch is a complete cock, but you, Sir, are the female equivalent.

7. gilstrac

a rare case of failed cronyism

The govt is for the people by the people but rarely seems enact laws with this in mind.

I wish this was the norm and not the exception.

We would see a lot more Murdochs whining.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soon to be doing a Maxwell

As much as I detest the NDAA, I think it's use would be perfect in your case Murdoch, I'd even subscribe to SKY and your papers just to see you at Gitmo.

The lady doth protest too much methinks,

Obviously a geriatric, old fart like Murdoch would have trouble remembering the Wapping dispute, I haven't bloody forgotten.

btw Rupert I can feel your butthurt from blighty,go cry me a river you twat.

NDAA=Anon for me

9. Patrick 8

Bloody old fart

see title

10. Boy Wonder
    Meh

Wow, what a shameless bunch of ad hominems

Can anybody be bothered to make an informed case against these Acts?

No, thought not. It's far easier sport to attack Murdoch instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can anybody be bothered defending Murdoch

> It's far easier sport to attack Murdoch instead., Boy Wonder

Can anybody be bothered defending Murdoch? ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

With any luck some of m'learned friends will soon be paid spectacularly well to do just that.

2. Chris 3
      Black Helicopters

Here's a decent summary

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/sopa-change-internet-050934162.html

A lot of arguments against SOPA/PIPA tend to begin with the axiom "Piracy isn't actually a problem" which I really don't think will sway its supporters. The article above is quite informative.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
        Mushroom

The arguments against SOPA start with "Punishment on allegations alone is illegal"

And several other such fundamentals of common law.

They continue with "An Internet that works is a good thing".

The Yahoo summary Chris 3 linked to is a pretty good one.

Of course, if the SOPA & PIPA concepts did pass into law then the most likely and fairly rapid result would be to cut the US off from the Internet, rather than the other way around. This would be fatal to a lot of companies, most of the in the US but many elsewhere who rely on US customers.

Except of course that it cannot possibly pass, because the first time it gets used will end up going all the way to the Supreme court, who will then eject the whole legislation as the unconstitutional turd it clearly is. Microsoft (Bing!) and Google have deeper pockets than the MPAA and RIAA put together - and they would both be badly affected by it.

1. Paul 172
          Thumb Up

Exactly right Robert, I agree.

Except that maybe "Punishment on allegations alone is unlawful" - not illegal :) Theres a serious difference.

3. Sensi
      Thumb Up

Speaking of ad hominem attacks, I am digressing but Murdoch -his gutter level, xenophobic and Goebbelsian "press"- is one of the few public figures I am impatiently awaiting the -natural- death. That day it will be champagne.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

1. Murdoch is the subject of this article, not SOPA, so it's natural for criticisms to target him, not the proposed law.

2. Most of the attacks are, in fact, accurate.

3. If you want an informed case against SOPA, that has been done eloquently and at length already. Check the previous articles and links, for starters.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He's a form of the lowest, gutter-dwelling dirtbag.

How many people's lives have been wrecked by him and his shitty media corps? Dredging up the merest hint of a story, dressing it up fact and flogging it to the sub 70 IQ, Sun reading masses, only to be slapped on the wrist and told not to lie again when it was pointed that it was all fabricated.

Media corps like his simply want to sell "copy", they don't give a rat's arse about anything but making money selling 100%, A-grade horseshit. If they lie, well so what! Pay the person off who they lied about and move on. They make $1 million from a story and pay the offended party a token couple of grand. How about we sanction you the entire days takings every time you fuck up Murdoch, you might think twice about raking the shit. Sadly your papers would have around 2 pages of news if it had to be all verified fact!

He has made a living by selling lies and fabrications, bought and bullied his way through life and now he can't understand why people are angry at him at his playground, bully-boy tactics. While I don't wish him any physical harm, he needs to simply fuck off to retirement and leave the world to those that can move with the times and understand the present.

6. MJI Silver badge

It is fun and deserved

That is what Murdoch is for.

The sooner his empire collapses the better.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Boy Wonder

"Can anybody be bothered to make an informed case against these Acts?"

The short answer is that it will make legal use of the Internet for searching impractical or impossible.

Under the new laws it's illegal to link to a site that contains material that breaches copyright; this includes search results, so Google and all other search engines would either have to shut down, or limit search results to sites that are known to be 100% free of infringing material.

You'd also be breaking the law if you posted a link to your Facebook page and anyone else on Facebook has uploaded a copyrighted file without permission; so individuals could also be targeted.

Satisfied?

11. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Mushroom

Re boy wonder

Murdoch own 20th Century Fox.

Fox is part of Hollywood.

Hollywood as a whole are the main force behind SOPA.

So attacking him is one way us on the RH side of the Atlantic can attack SOPA. Remember Murdoch had form here in the UK.

IMHO, Only the Chavs like him.

normal people either go 'bleh' or don't like him.

12. Paul RND*1000
    Thumb Up

Aww is wittle Wupert upset?

Anything which Murdoch thinks is good is worth opposing. With any necessary force, even if that does mean being in bed with Google.

13. Leo Maxwell
    Mushroom

If we stopped piracy tommorrow, I don't see DVD sales rising

The nonsense that each downloaded file is a lost sale is just so lame.

If you believe the Media industry figures, everyone on the planet would have bought every DVD and CD if they didn't download.

While there is a problem with piracy, it is far far less than the media people would have us believe.

Especially as large chunks of Murdochs IP is already stolen from others.

14. Someone Else Silver badge
    Alert

No, Rupert, once again you got it all wrong

“So Obama has thrown in his lot with Silicon Valley paymasters who threaten all software creators with piracy, plain thievery,”

No, Rupert. It's more like Obama has thrown his lot with those who believe the Constitution applies to everyone (even you, dipshit), and that private vigilante self-appointed police forces like the MPAssA and RiAssA should not have the power of law or American citizens.

15. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Holmes

Ruperts Underwear

Seeing Rupert's underwear in a twist is a large bonus, or perhaps even priceless.

Having read the US Reports, The White House said expressly (the European) "Freedom of Expression" and not (the American) "Freedom of Speech". They are exactly the same concept for the "exporter" or source of data, but the "importer" or data user is quite a different matter.

Except in matters of National Security and for specific goods, exports have never had routine legal scrutiny to determine destination. Imports have always had scrutiny to determine origin. Americans have only had 230 years experience with this, but the process seems to work.

Now Hollywood wants a look at every "export" too, to make sure there's none of their stuff in there. They never mention that this is a change in a process 230 years old. Google is not to be trusted, but Hollywood is wrong to say this is an "innovation" because it is clearly a change in direction.

16. fzz

Shocked, shocked that companies lobby congress

When can I expect News Corp papers and Fox News to break the headline that money influences US politicians? Or that companies spend big bucks lobbying politicians in the US?

I'm sure the saintly Murdoch has never sullied his hands with such base efforts. No, only the high road for him!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like