back to article WikiLeaky phone scam targets unwary in US

A new voicemail phishing scam uses the threat of non-existent fines for visiting WikiLeaks to prise money out of panicked marks. Prospective marks are robo-dialled by an automated system that states their computer and IP address "had been noted as having visited the Wikileaks site, and that there were grave consequences for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

You missed something off ....

"Much the same approach has now been applied to target surfers visiting Wikileaks - which is, of course, perfectly legal, and without consequences for ordinary US citizens"

for now

2. Tigra 07
    Thumb Up

Scammers Directory

I'm well aquainted with 419 scams and the like so it's always surprising to hear about how the new scams are worked.

Take a trip to 419eater if you're constantly plagued by spam emails, they're fun to mess with as long as you're careful.

Or you can just read the accounts of other peoples dealings with some of these dumb scammers and have a laugh.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Questions...

What exactly is illegal here - the use of phones, the completely baseless intimidating threats of fines, or that there isn't a law firm behind it?

If it's only the baseless-ness (sorry, couldn't think of a better way to phrase that) of the threat, then could the copy-lawyers employ similar tactics?

I'd venture that war dialing a college campus with similar threats based on file sharing might be more successful. Do people in Kentucky even have Internet connections?

/Also, it's not just military personnel that are banned from viewing WikiLeaks - it's all Federal employees including contractors.

1. Dave 15

banned from viewing wikileaks

Can imagine it being blocked at work, but banning people - thought the Americans just lectured the Chinese on such things? According to its self-publicity America is the worlds leading democracy etc etc etc bringing freedom to the world etc etc etc crusading against oppresive regimes etc etc etc

Yet they are imposing such bans on various people....

Amazing - only the Americans could be this stupid.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Answers ...

Though IANAL, there's probably some element of fraud, deception, demanding money with menaces, harassment, etc, which are likely illegal though depends on what the exact wording is.

Copy-lawyers do seem to use similar tricks, though they appear not to go fishing quite so wildly, rather making the assumption that A + B = C when it may not and act on the basis that it does. The difference is perhaps that copy-lawyers have some legally-valid grounds for believing A + B = C where the scammers don't even have that.

4. Frank Bitterlich
    Go

"This is the police..."

"... we're calling to arrest you over the phone. Please stay where you are until we arrive at your door. Thank you for your cooperation."

I especially like this advice: "[...] Don't pay it if it's fake." Doh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

"Don't pay it if it's fake"

Could this be used as a defense for not responding to copyright lawyers?

5. ratfox
    WTF?

Credulity

I wonder how many people actually paid.

6. mhenriday
    Big Brother

«... the US Pentagon openly banned military personnel

from visiting Wikileaks for security reasons» ? Security reasons ? Does this refer, perhaps, to a fear in the higher echelons that military personnel might view what their superiors tell them with a certain amount of skepsis after reading the material ? More power to that !...

Henri

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not that it's any better really

...but the explanation I heard was that there is a law in place that restricts government employees from unauthorized viewing of classified documents. Since the documents are still *technically* classified, ergo... it is against the law for federal employees to view them.

Again, not supporting any of it.

7. Dave 15

Time

ITs surely about time that the criminals behind these were actually tracked and locked up - surely it is possible in this day and age?

8. BadwolfBracken

Abort / Retry / Fail

Does this mean ACS Law have now opened an office in the US?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Our gubb'mint

I hope our government doesn't find out that people actually fall for this, and get any wise ideas.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like