back to article Washington Supremes deliver death sentence to betting site

Washington state's highest court has delivered a fatal blow to a website that billed itself as a person-to-person betting platform that connected people who wanted to make wagers. Betcha.com attempted to bypass the state's prohibition against unlicensed gambling operations by giving the losers the option of backing out of their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bets in the US

they shuold have paid up to the Mafia and all would have dissapeared.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Washington Supremes

They're just upset because they can't beat the Harlem Globetrotters.

3. t1mc
    Boffin

What is betting?

Perhaps they should have argued that their business model mimics the stock exchange....is there a difference between betting on the results of one and betting on the results of the other?

1. Tigra 07
      Thumb Down

Unequal under the law

As always, it's okay when the governemnt do it, but not if anyone else does

4. Stratman
    WTF?

title

Astounding.

In the Land of the Free you can own a machine gun but you can't have a bet.

5. James Loughner
    Pirate

Out law Stocks

Would not this definition outlaw many stock schemes?? Derivatives anyone?

6. Chris Thomas Alpha
    Go

ok then, open up in europe

and then post a page telling the US government to go f**k itself :)

the business will just move to outside of the united states and then what are they gonna do?

7. ZenCoder

They almost had it.

Their clever legal trick made it fall outside of gambling laws for their customers at least.

A small minority of gamblers are actually betting amounts they can easily afford to lose and are receiving good entertainment value for their money.

The rest I feel are being idiots but I am not sure if think the government should waste its time and money in a futile attempt to keep them from their idiocy.

Then again maybe if it were legal in the us every website I'd visit would start incorporating gambling in some annoying way.

1. Alpha Tony

Hmmm

'Then again maybe if it were legal in the us every website I'd visit would start incorporating gambling in some annoying way.'

Do you think ZenCoder is right? Win $$$s!

Check the latest odds at registerbetting.com

8. proto-robbie
    Pirate

So, tell me how...

... this is different to buying shares on the NYSE? Same things happen when you bet more than you can afford, certainly. You could even lose the house, Mr Lehman.

This topic is closed for new posts.